Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Compst. Because a Rind is a Terrible Thing to Waste.

          So, it is only Day #2 of my challenge and I am already thinking about purchasing something new. Gasp, but that is against the rules, you say. I know, I know. But it's for a worthy cause, I assure you. It is hard to talk about being "green" and making less waste without talking about composting. I have been thinking about this for some time now.
          However, I live in a small two bedroom condo (which is technically a one bedroom with a den) with my husband, our 5 month old baby, our golden retriever, AND we have another baby on the way. Suffice it to say, every square inch is precious. Our balcony is approximately 3 feet by 6 feet and is already home to 2 chairs, our small grill, a very small table, and the back end of an unsightly air conditioning unit housed in the wall. We love to cook. Well, my husband loves to cook and I love to bake. So, our modest (small) kitchen is packed to the brim as well. We already store our coffee pot, slow cooker, and recycling bin under the kitchen sink. Hmm, that pretty much eats up the two prime locations for a compost bin for apartment dwellers.
          All that being said, the more I think about it, the more determined I am to make space. Although space is not my only obstacle. Ah, my husband. You have to love him. Okay, you don't, but I do. I must say, he has been great. For a man who barely recycled when we met and ate a diet of doughnuts and hotdogs, he has come a long way. We are proud cloth diaperers. Much of the produce we purchase is organic, local, or both. He remembers the reusable bags more often than not and can be found cooking vegetarian meals (though he won't admit it) from scratch most nights of the week. He's reluctant to try some of my "hippie" ideas, but he's receptive to change and open to improvements as long as I approach them one at a time.
          Alas, he's put his foot down with composting. He's not opposed to composting per say, but he wants to know where I plan on putting this bin of mine. It's going to smell, he insists. What are we going to do with the compost when it's ready? After all, we (sadly) do not have a garden. I'm not going to lie, these are concerns of mine as well. But I think I have some pretty good answers...to two out of three questions anyway.
         In my understanding, if you achieve the right balance between wet kitchen scraps and dry bedding such as shredded paper and leaves, odor should not be an issue (let's hope). Although we don't have a garden, I do plan on planting as many flower boxes and Topsy Turvys full of veggies as I can next spring. Until then we can give it to whomever may want it for their house plants or garden. I have also heard of people selling or giving away their compost as fertilizer on craigslist. If all else fails I can throw it in one of our bushes. It can only help! I think I can fit a small homemade storage tub compost bin under that unsightly air conditioner on the balcony.
          However, it's been pointed out to me by a friend that I may want to wait until the spring to start my outdoor compost bin.Though the decomposition process produces considerable heat and can survive the winter once it has already began, chances are the organic material would freeze before it could begin if I started it now. SO, what is it that I want to buy you ask? This little guy here. While I could use a coffee can, this small compost bin has a built in carbon filter to help eliminate odors which will be helpful since I am not sure how often I'll be able to empty it. It's under $15 and is small enough to sit on the kitchen counter. Since I don't yet have a compost pile, we will generously be giving our scraps to friends' piles. You're welcome.
          Why am I willing to go to so much trouble when I will just be giving it away? Because it is estimated that over half of household garbage that ends up in a landfill could have been composted. That is hard to ignore. After all, a rind is a terrible thing to waste.
          If you are interesting in composting, check out the different methods here. There are also worm bins or vermicomposting which you can watch a video on here. If you are unsure what you can and cannot compost check out this list. And remember, when it comes to waste, Less Is More!
         
         
       

No comments:

Post a Comment