Search This Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2011

What is the Challenge? The Rules of the Game.

           Inspired by the Clean Bin Project, I have decided to give myself a slightly less ambitous challenge. Buy as little new "stuff" as possible over the course of a year and thus produce less waste in the process. This is not a new concept and I am by no means reinventing the wheel. However, I think it's a challenge worthy of us all.
      This will hopefully accomplish a few things. First and foremost, it will help the environment. How, you ask? With all that stuff comes packaging which usually ends up in the landfill. Not to mention the fuel and water it takes to make and usually ship said stuff to the store. And of course, sadly, that stuff that we once thought we couldn't live without usually ends up in the landfill as well. Secondly, I think it will help us evaluate what we really need. We live in a time where we think we need 17 different cleaners and we need the newest video game. Now, I am not suggesting that we all stop purchasing everything and send the economy into an even worse downward spiral, but I am suggesting we all take a look at what we use and what we waste.
           I brought this idea up to my husband today and got a somewhat skeptical glance. I said, "Hey, what man in their right mind wouldn't agree to his wife buying as little as possible in a year?" After all, consuming less definitely means spending less. I am frugal by nature. I grew up in a household with limited funds, but alas, like many I do love to shop. I love crafting and decorating...ah, pillows. I have some unhealthy obsession with throw pillows, but I digress.
           This will be a particularly difficult challenge with our second baby on the way and Christmas lurking around the corner. I am optimistic by nature and I feel up to it! So, that all being said, here are my rules:
  • Food items and basic hygiene products are okay to purchase. However, I will try not to buy anything I can make (no household cleaners, no packaged baby food, I will be trying out that toothpaste recipe I've been wanting to give a whirl) and I will try to choose items with the least packaging that is recyclable. Also, I will cut out what I can. I don't need hairspray, perfume, nail polish, etc.

  • Any material goods (clothes, strollers, etc.) should be purchased from thrift stores, craig's list, garage sales. If those avenues have been exhausted, a local vendor is the next option. But the point here is to buy as few material goods as possible.

  • Produce as little unecessary waste as possible.

  • Gifts to others will follow the same rules.

  • Basically, less is more!

Okay, that's my plan! I'm excited to get started so I begin....NOW. I invite anybody up for a challenge to do this with me. I would love some company in this journey. If not, then sit back and I'll share my experiences and hopefully we can all learn something together. Or at the very least maybe you'll be entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment