Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2011

No One Told Me There'd Be a Makeup Exam

It is day #3 and I've run out of makeup remover. Per the rules of the challenge I can't buy anything that I can make or that produces unnecessary waste. I currently use Neutrogena makeup remover wipes. Each of the cleansing towelettes is disposable and the packaging is not recyclable. Yeah, I'd say that's unnecessarily wasteful. It may surprise you that I still use these when I go out of my way to lesson my waste in so many other ways, but I've tried many different varieties and like these the best. I have sensitive skin and have a hard time finding facial products I like. So, I've stuck with these despite the waste.
          It's time for a change. I've read that olive oil is a great eye makeup remover. I decided to give it a go since we use olive oil nightly for our cooking and already have large amounts on hand. Apply it to your eyes with a soft cloth and leave on for two or three minutes. It should break down even the toughest waterproof mascara and condition your eyelashes as a bonus.
           I am also running dangerously low on my foundation and concealer. While makeup probably wouldn't be considered a hygienic basic, I will be replacing it with something. I would love to be one of those women who walks around sans makeup with her head held high. However, I don't wish to scare small children or be chased out of town by a pitchfork carrying mob.
          I began to peruse the internet for homemade makeup recipes. I found some great ideas for homemade lip balms here and homemade eyeshadow recipes aren't are to come by either, but seem to have some obscure ingredients. When I searched homemade foundation and concealer, the recipes were extremely complicated and included a plethora of ingredients and some chemicals. Hmm, that seems to defeat my purpose here.
          I decided to search instead for the most eco-friendly makeup. I came across Environmental Working Group's Cosmetics Database.  Here you can find out what ingredients are in the products you use and what hazard level they pose to you. Shockingly, my current "mineral" foundation and concealer earns a 4 and a 5 on the EWG's 0-10 scale. This is considered a moderate hazard and the site explains how they came up with this rating.
          After much research I decided on Physicians Formula Organic Wear. It scores a modest 1 on EWG's database. It was the first ECOCERT certified American organic makeup line; products contain 100% certified organic ingredients and are packaged in environmentally conscious paper (as opposed to plastic) compacts. Unlike some of the other high end organic makeups I came across, this line is readily available in local stores and is relatively affordable. I have tried some of this line in the past. It's not bad and I'm willing to give it a second chance. The only thing I really dislike is that each new compact or tub of loose powder comes with it's own brush. For an eco-line, that seems very wasteful and I plan on writing the company to tell them so.
          If you're ready for your makeup exam visit EWG's site. It's eye opening and worrying that so many of the products we put directly on our face may not only be affecting the environment, but our health. I guess the cost of beauty is more than skin deep. I've learned when it comes to makeup less is definitely more!

3 comments:

  1. I actually don't own a piece of makeup, yay me! However a friend did my makeup for Halloween and my face felt grimy for days. My face wash is apparently no match to makeup remover. Wish I had known about this olive oil trick a couple weeks ago. Oh well I know now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use makeup very often because everything makes me feel sick. I get a headache and feel nauseous. When I do wear makeup (for very special occasions, lol), I use Organic Physician's Formula. It doesn't make me feel ill as quickly as other kinds, so I guess that's saying something :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend both of you ladies! You are both natural beauties. =)

    ReplyDelete